How to care for delicate items and do not damage porcelain when cleaning? Learn how to restore the original appearance of porcelain products at home.
- When washing porcelain, avoid water temperature changes.
- Be especially careful when cleaning porcelain dishes with metal trim.
- Avoid bleaching agents and abrasive cleaners.
- If you doubt how to clean your porcelain, it is always better to seek professional help.
Porcelain is one of the types of baked clay. He was invented in China and is now used to create a variety of items, from decorative tea sets to bath fixtures. Porcelain is a fragile material, so when you clean it, you should be extremely careful. Fine porcelain products are usually one of the most expensive things in the house, therefore, in order to preserve your precious collection of dishes, you will certainly benefit from the advice collected in this article.
How to clean porcelain figurines
Porcelain and other types of Chinese ceramics are often used to decorate the house – whether it’s floor vases or tiny figures. However, these decorative objects easily accumulate dust and dirt, so it is very important to look after them properly.
- First, remove the dust with a dry cloth, preferably from a microfiber, which will collect the dust, and not transfer it to another place.
- Then, with a small brush with a soft bristle, remove the dust from the tiny slits.
- Wash porcelain products in warm (and not hot) water with a mild detergent, preferably in a plastic basin, so as not to damage the product about the ceramic sink.
- Rinse the products under warm water and put on a towel to dry.
How can the temperature damage porcelain
When cleaning fine porcelain, the most important thing is to avoid sudden changes in temperature. Do not wash it in too hot water and lower the thin objects (plates) into the water slowly and gradually, so that the product is accustomed to the temperature. By the way, with a sharp contact with heat, the metal finish of the dishes can be damaged.
How to remove stains on porcelain dishes
Many people use porcelain dishes only on special occasions, but if stains (say, from tea) still appear – here are a few ways to deal with them:
- Wash the porcelain products with your hands, not in the dishwasher, where it is easy to damage them.
- Avoid chlorine-containing and other strong cleaning agents.
- Spots on porcelain can be cleaned with a sponge with soda or toothpaste, but do not use a toothbrush and other bristles with stiff bristles that can scratch porcelain. First, test the agent on a small area of the surface.
- If the stains are not cleaned out – mix in equal parts salt and vinegar and leave on the stain for an hour, and then rinse in warm water. Again, do not forget to first test this method of cleaning on a small area of the surface.
- To remove the stubborn stains, leave this mixture for longer or clean products with a special cleaner for washing porcelain with the addition of hydrogen peroxide. Be especially careful when using such potent agents and first test their effect on a small and subtle area of the surface.
How to clean porcelain in the bathroom
In some bathrooms there are porcelain elements, for example, taps, shower heads and tiles. Wash them with a weak solution of dishwashing detergent and warm water in the same way as utensils or porcelain ornaments. Do not clean porcelain in the bathroom with coarse abrasives and washcloths. Try clearing the lime and water spray with a paste of soda and water or a special cleaner for cleaning porcelain in the bathroom.
Image credit: NadineDoerle